Red Star Dim Sum Restaurant

I love dim sum! But I guess I always lament the fact that there're no more pushcarts around where they have dimsum dollies walking around, peddling and cajoling you to buy all the specials, and you pointing and having the instant gratification of eating whatever you like. :) So I was really happy when I heard that this old-school restaurant from the 1970s is still operating and they have dimsum ladies walking around promoting all the freshly made dimsum at very affordable prices ($2-$4!) :) My mum was especially nostalgic because she used to have such dim sum when she was a kid, I think they kind of phased it out because of the high labor costs? 













Anyway review of the food! The food was actually... really average. I would not go there for the food definitely, the custard bun was obviously frozen and it was hard. The siu mai was meh. The roast pork was cold and sad. The chee cheong fun was alright, the skin and sauce were good. I guess the only dish that actually appeased me was the suckling pig, it was very well-marinated and roast to a crisp, and even when served cold, it still had reverberations of its former days of glory of warmness. The bill was pretty reasonable though, so definitely go if you're on a budget and feel like bulking


The service was pretty bad too! You had to wait ages for a cart you like to come round, and if you made a special order, you would have to wait 30 minutes for the dish to come. 

42% + 5% for old-school nostalgia


54 Chin Swee Road, Singapore 160054
+65 6532 5266

(It's quite hard to find, you basically have to park in the multi-story carpark and it's on the 7th floor)

Comments

Popular Posts