Ding Dong Restaurant

Have been wanting to try ding dong after seeing my friends instgramming this


And also hearing a lot about their Frozen bibimbap. Ding Dong is modern Asian fusion and is opened by spa esprit group which also helms open door policy and 40hands. 

Anyway on to the food! I was really excited about the cocktails especially the kaya cocktail but it turned out to be quite disappointing! It was pandan milk and rye, in a proper cocktail setting, it woulld have came with a kaya toast but it just tasted like eggnog with alcohol! :( 


We got 2 set lunches for $35 which includes rice and wine / beer and we ordered the Vietnamese scotch eggs and lobster bao with hoisin sauce from the alacarte menu. 


The miso tofu was one of the chef's socials but to me, it tasted pretty normal. 


Kingfish sashimi, the purée was good but uh very normal again 


Vietnamese scotch eggs with chili sauce

Personally, I am a big fan of scotch eggs which is composed of runny eggs stuffed in meat that is breaded. This was one of the stronger dishes and I liked the Asian flavored incorporated in such a quintessential British dish. 


Lobster bao with hoisin sauce, the sauce was good but I didn't like the sear and execution of the lobster itself. 



Rice with fried shallots and seaweed was good 


Tom Kha Quail - weak dish, foam didn't add any flavor, quail didn't appeal to me, couldn't finish this 


Barramundi with okra and eggplant

Again I'm a big fan of barramundi, this dish was average 


And then to desserts, which I regretted ordering

The Chendol was just bad. Popcorn and ice cubes with jelly. No words. 


Mango with sticky rice where the mango purée was weak and the rice was not even worth the calories. 


Bibimbap didn't appeal to me 
Puffed rice with mango purée and shaved carrots oh god. Like a demon chef gone crazy, I didn't know what was going on with this dish. It was spicy and sour and slightly sweet and crunchy and ugh I think he just wanted to overload the senses with the contrast in flavors and textures but in this case, it just failed, badly. Ugh. 







I like the concept of ding dong but I think many of their dishes have room for improvement. Service was terribly slow too. 

You would be ding dong to come here 

48%

Ding Dong
23 Ann Siang Road





Comments

Popular Posts