Mirazur @ Mandala Club

Haven't really updated this space for very long because I've been busy during the COVID period, and also been studying for my surgical exams. But I feel compelled to write briefly about my lunch at Mirazur which was such a delightful getaway. They had redesigned it to look like a garden, and the artwork was beautiful. It's at the members-only club Mandala which has a 4-figure joining fee and also several fun activities such as sake tasting, weaving, and all the mindfulness workshops. It's in the former Straits Clan, but they really revamped several of the Peranakan influences. 


I've always been a fan of canele. I snack on canele, learnt to bake them, and went to the Bordeaux (the supposed birthplace of canele) to try them - okay, maybe I also went there for the wine trail. Anyway, Mirazur surprised me with this comte cheese canele. I have never heard of a savoury canele. The canele is a delicate crispy morsel has a spongey centre oozing with vanilla and a subtle rum note, it's a firework of flavours and textures in your mouth. This comte cheese canele didn't blow me over, but it was refreshing and enjoyable.    



Here is another picture of this savoury comte cheese canele. It did have a creamy oozy centre. 


These were the rest of the amuse bouches, which didn't really stand out for me. The theme was 'vegetable'. They also have three other seasons 'flowers' and 'fruits'. The restaurant firmly believes in fresh produce, so the team tries to change the menu daily based on the market produce. I'm a huge proponent of farm-to-table, especially after being influenced by Alice Water's philosophy at Berkeley, so it was great to see that they used several fresh local herbs. 



I was very tempted to buy one olive oil bottle (SGD $60). They had interesting flavours such as geranium, citrus and celery. I'm still nowhere halfway through the Les Amis olive oil, so I resisted this temptation. 


An ode to bread. This bread was based on the chef's grandma's recipe but he also paired with signature Bordier butter spiced and wraped with kombu, and also homemade celery olive oil. The accompaniments were addictive. The bread however was a bit too rustic for me.  


This is one of my favourite dishes. It has a local twist, millefeuille of suckling pig and crisp veggies. They have kale, and the suckling pig was crispy, the kombu sauce went along very well. Props to the chef for the execution. 


Didn't really like this salad but the amount of attention to detail was admirable. 






Turbot with shisho leaf was perfectly cooked. The chef had a stint in Japan, and also used several Japanese flavours such as yuzu and shiso which was amazing! 



They will be doing this pop-up until September so do try to book your tickets while you can. I went for the lunch course, it was filling but I did have some space for more so would probably recommend the dinner menu. 


Mirazur by Mandala Club

31 Bukit Pasoh Road

https://www.mandala.club/reservations






Comments

Popular Posts