Kitchen Table at Bubbledogs Restaurant Review


I have been meaning to do a review but I've been doing 16-hour days literally every day, life of a medic.

anyway finally found the time!

So my friend and I were talking about how we are kind of like third culture kids, and how we tend to look for people with a more open and tolerant attitude to life / have a global perspective. Eg, I was born in Singapore but my parent's family are from Australia, I did boarding school in the east coast, college in the west coast and now I'm in the UK lol. And my friend is Chinese but grew up in the UAE and is also in the UK.

SO ANYWAY, Bubbledogs goes down as one of my favorite restaurants because it is exactly what a third culture kid loves. I was surprised at just how international the chef was. Some chefs love to use foam, innovative cuisine but yet you still can see their French / Italian / British accents. In Bubbledogs, I felt like with each dish, I was transported into a different part of my life, and that was how I knew, wow, this chef is really open and innovative and international. He attempted japanese dishes, tried to do his own rendition of a ox-tongue pastrami which I swear can compare to nyc's katz deli, and he even did a very very good french truffle pasta. And I guess when you go to the washroom, you see that he is really well-traveled, he keeps all the recipes of restaurants that he has been to, and you can tell that he collaborates and incorporates all his travels and conversations with other chefs into his food.


so they don't have an alacarte menu, it's a set 12-course menu depending on the fresh produces they have that day


New England oyster with fresh mint and coriander, and homemade sriracha sauce

-sriracha hasn't really been used by a lot of the british chefs here, and the fact that he makes his own sriracha sauce is pretty impressive
but this dish was only ok for me




this is interesting
it looks like crackling but it is NOT
it's the water of potato which is reduced, then starched, then puffed
and they top it off with sour cream, salmon, fresh chives and brown sugar

the brown sugar really brought out all the flavors


this was not my favorite
skin of chicken with rosemary mascarpone and bacon jam


marlow shrimp with tarragon, raw piece of yolk with rhubarb, shaved with pollen of fennel, and they tear up they fennel and serve it with sea salt

-okay



tokyo turnips soaked in vinegar with homemade miso and fresh meyer lemon 
the skin of the lemon is lightly candied 
-good



haha this was such a playful dish!!

charcoal-grilled broccoli with anchovies and creme fraiche with hollandaise, cured egg yolk, cured roe of salmon and some black pepper

interesting veggie dish don't you think?



this is an optional add-on £20
the truffle was so worth it
pasta was very simply cooked
very very rich and dense




this dish is my favorite
because it reminded me of my nyc high school days, and my katz deli experience
except he remixes the traditional pastrami sandwich here!

he uses ox tongue sandwich with rosti so good oh god


cornish pork
James Knappett is actually very good friends with this butcher from the cornish agricultural college. So this piglets are raised by the students from the college, and he gets them fresh.
He roasts the chops with pumpkin, garlic and red peppers.
And the sauce/ jus is made with the bones of the piggies
nice dish i must admit



haha celery, onions and mustard seeds
cheese dish - very interesting
because you felt that the emphasis wasn't really on the cheese
inception




oh my god
i'm a person with an insane sweet tooth
and he gave so many amazing desserts. one after the other. i have to say he does really interesting ice-cream flavors.

this is seville orange marmalade broth with toast ice-cream
i bloody love the toast ice-cream it was the most complex ice-cream flavor i ever had



this is liquor ice-cream with dried beet root - ok





eh ma god

vanilla sewed with madagascan vanilla fudge infused with hay
best toffee hands down


and then they asked you whether you wanted to end with either homemade damson / gin
pretty decent damson with a nice fruity / plum note 



ok 

90%
Bubbledogs
www.bubbledogs.co.uk
70 Charlotte Street, London W1T 4QG
020 7637 7770

also how sweet.
i love how they are a husband-wife team of sandia and james? felt like they worked so well together



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts