Rang Mahal @ Pan Pacific



Was supposed to meet my dad for a lunch date but he was caught up in a meeting, so um I went solo :( 

Rang Mahal is a fine-dining Indian restaurant at Pan Pacific which has been around for over 20 years, I didn't know there was a strong market for niche Indian food so I was quite surprised when I saw that it was almost full when I went. 

Went for the $58 lunch buffet because I wanted to try everything available. From what I ate, I felt that the food was comparable to one-star Michelin Indian restaurants in London so I thought the price was pretty reasonable. Ordered a sweet lassi too. 

The price of $58 includes one soup, the appetizer and main buffet spread, a crazy dessert spread and a churrascura-style of tandoori meats and different bread, you also get a selection of tea. I highly recommend the masala tea, it was soo good!! This masala tea had heavy notes of cardamom and was sweet and evenly spiced :) great for lunch and to rev yourself up for the rest of the day 

Also they have a black pepper and fennel tea which is very very refreshing, you don't get the spicy taste of the tea but it's complex and musky 

I am a huge fan of complex and rich flavors so I love curry!! And all the chutneys! They had a spread of creamed spinach and corn, cottage cheese curry, chicken curry, fish curry (very dry!), green pea fried rice, prawn fried rice (okay) and fried okra

I love the fresh naan bread and the selmolina bread, and the lentil soup was quite spicy for me (have no idea why previous food bloggers complained that the spiciness level is rather tame?)

Also had a live cooking station (hey, they said 2 on the website), the chef was very friendly and helpful. He prepared dhosa stuffed with fresh vegetables and he warned me that a sauce was quite spicy 



Main Course 


Fried okra


Cottage cheese curry 


Selmolina bread


Lovely masala tea


I think the star of this place is the dessert selection! Kudos to the amazing pastry chef :) you made my day 

The fruit salad was alright but the coconut ice-cream was so rich and perfect, and I drizzled it with selmolina and wheat so it had the perfect crunch 

The rose and blueberry dessert had the rich yoghurt texture and I finished them in under 3 seconds 




The guljab (fried pastry in sweet sauce) was perfect, one of the best I had
The other dessert was good too :) 


Service was good. The tandoori guy was very friendly, and said "I think you'd like this chicken so I'll give you more" haha I did like it

Manager was good but I found it quite stressful? She came up to me twice to ask how the food was and then asked me how I would rate it, and also added that she had observed me taking pictures and wanted to know if it was for Instagram or...? I just found it a little probing but she had good intentions. 

74% to the amazing pastry chef! 

Rang Mahal Restauranf
Pan Pacific Hotel
7 Raffles Blvd
Singapore 039594

6333 1788








Comments

Popular Posts