Dishoom London Restaurant Review

So one of my professors came over from California and told me to go try out Dishoom because he believed that I'll really like it, so off I went! :)

Dishoom is a chain restaurant with several branches in London and offers affordable and great Indian food. I really loved the old-school ambience of Dishoom, it had newspaper-style menus and classic colonial design and it just felt very relaxing and laidback there. 

The service was really good, the lady came over and kept circling different recommendations on the menu, and for me, I'm not very familiar with South Indian cuisine, so she took the time to explain what each exotic dish is. 



We got the veggie stew with fluffy hot-cross like buns, chicken ruby which was chicken with curry. I recommend this dish, because their tandoori doesn't come with sauces but is naturally spiced, and for me, I prefer sauces and flavorings on the heavy side, so I really loved the curry! They also gave complimentary sauces, which I really enjoyed, they had a sweet minty chutney and a hot and fiery spicy chutney. However, I found the chicken a little on the dry side and not that well-marinated, which really contradicts all the rave reviews that I've been hearing about it. Maybe I was setting the bar too high?

For desserts, we got kulfi ice-cream which is a caramalized ice-cream, I got mine flavored with pistachio which was so much yumz. They also had this interesting pineapple dessert which I'll definitely get next time if I have room for it. 

Their washrooms are really cute too, they have old medicinal cabinets adorning the walls, and the whole restaurant just had really amazing interior design! 

Verdict: I guess I would go for the ambience and the homemade naan and breads, but the chicken was a real downer for me. The curries and spices were really great though, I still prefer the Indian restaurants Gymkhana and Amaya and Benares. Food is really really fast and service is extremely efficient, pleasantly surprised.

60%

12 Upper St Martin's Ln
London
020 7420 9320

Comments

Popular Posts