Budapest Itinerary

Budapest Itinerary!

We spent 48 hours in Budapest. I think one of my top recommendations would have to be caving in Budapest. Budapest has one of the longest natural cave networks in Europe. I was a little apprehensive at the prospect of getting stuck in the cave, but my fear was quickly assuaged by the guide. We were given big jumpsuits to wear and entered the tunnel.

me crawling through an incredibly small hole

my fellow cavemen and cavewomen

We were quickly brought up to speed when we learnt about the different types of maneuvers such as the superman pose, the bellyside crawl and the side crawl. The cave was quite humid and cool, so it was good. Halfway through, the guide asked us whether we wanted to proceed with the easy, medium or difficult path. I chose the difficult path, and I guess everyone was too polite / embarrassed to object, so we did the difficult path. I'm glad we did though, because I really challenged myself, as I squirmed and wriggled through seemingly impossible crevices. At the end of the journey, the guide told all of us to switch off the lights, and the cave became dark. But not eerily dark as we all sang our favorite songs and enjoyed the acoustics of the cave. I guess some people who are slightly overweight may be worried whether they'll be able to fit through the holes, but don't worry, our guide assured us that a 200kg man had wriggled through the cracks. So as long are you're determined and have no inhibitions, I strongly recommend this tour! :)

caving.hu
caving in hungary
info@barlangaszat.hu

Okay. So we also went to Buda Castle to see the scenery. But as a medical student, I was more interested in visiting the Hospital in the Rock. It is an underground hospital built in the caves, and for a while, it was top secret, so people didn't know about its existence. I particularly enjoyed the tour because I felt that they glorified the medical profession teehee. 




But seriously though, it is a one hour tour, and I felt that my money was very well spent. You get to learn the history of Hungary during the war, the intricacies of the bomb shelter and the hospital. Got my seal of approval for this attraction. :)


Finally, a visit to Budapest isn't complete without visiting the baths. I was deciding between the Szechenyi baths and the Gellert baths, but I think the fact that Szechenyi had thermal baths made me choose Szechenyi. However, the Gellert baths is the oldest bath in Budapest, so if you have time, you should also make the trip there. 




I liked the main outdoor pool for Szechenyi, they also had a whirlpool and jacuzzi. But I felt that the indoor pools were a little grimy. But still well worth a visit.


Okay you may be wondering where to eat! 

My friend who did a semester abroad in Hungary recommended Onyx restaurant (one Michelin star). It's quite pricey but I felt that it was good enough to warrant the price. They had an insane bread bowl selection, good amuse bouches, good petit fours. They also had a traditional Hungrarian menu and a more international menu. 

traditional beef goulash

bread bowl selection

Onyx Restaurant

Vorosmarty square 7-8.Entrance from the Harmincad StreetBudapest 1051Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)


Also Nobu Budapest was good. I liked the cocktails and they had a special Hungrarian foie gras with salmon sushi which packed a lot of flavor. 

Hoping you have a good time in Budapest too :) :) :)



Comments

Popular Posts