Top 10 Things to do in Cambodia

Here is a list of the top 10 things to do while visiting Cambodia


1. Go for a traditional Cambodian meal! I was quite lucky to have a very accommodating and hospitable friend who prepared a lot of traditional dishes, told me about the ingredients and history behind the dishes. Cambodians like things very sweet and very salty, so be prepared to try something different. 






cambodian high-tea


Fish Amok - traditional Cambodian meal
2. Visit Angkor Wat, but also set aside time to visit the other temples, they are all really distinct and each has a unique character. Personally, I liked Ta Prohm the most because I saw the beauty in its destruction. Remember to wear something conservative, I didn't cover my knees so I had to buy an oversized pants. I finished the places in 1 day, but if you want to cover all the small temples too, you probably need 2 days!










3. Go for a cooking class! I really enjoyed my cooking class, where I learnt how to make traditional dishes such as fish amok. They also gave us a tour of the traditional botanic garden and were really informative.




trying out herbs at the national botanic garden


4. Go to the Cambodian markets. There are several markets around, and they're pretty value for money. I bought sugercane juice for 50 cents and I tried the famous balut - embryonic egg. It's supposedly quite nutritious and they season it with soya sauce, lime and lemon. Do try it! 



balut - embryonic egg

balut


Also be daring! And try the tarantulas and cockroaches, they're really crunchy and yummy. Khmer cuisine can be seen as unconventional but it's mainly because it was born out of starvation and innovation during the regime. 

*Not worth it to go for a food tour unless you're not Asian. I went for a food tour, and they basically showed me all the food that I grew up with. So it was quite a waste of time and money.

5. Ride a tuk tuk! Also you can probably haggle it to USD$1 less, the drivers tend to quote $1 more.



6. Go visit the national palace. Again, wear something that covers the legs and the arms. I had to buy an overpriced t-shirt to cover myself. 




7. Go free some birdies! Cambodians are largely Buddhist. And they have this belief of freeing birdies, whereby giving the birds freedom allow you to have better luck or karma. It's fun for the experience.


8. Go palm-reading. For US$1, this guy read my palms and told me a lot that is quite accurate. Go for fun!


9. Go to a floating village. I found it really worthwhile, although you should stay clear of the main one where they bring you to an orphanage and try to convince you to donate large sums of money. I liked paddling along the mangrove, and also just seeing the stilted houses on water. It's an interesting way of life.



10. Go for a massage! My brother and I went for a four-hands massage, which involves two people giving you a massage. He really liked it but I didn't. I prefer the massages where you play an active role and they stretch you out. :)





 If you're into nightlife, Nova in Pnom Penh is pretty good!




I just set up an ask.fm heh. ask.fm/jolendaang

Comments

Popular Posts