Surviving the Circuit Breaker and Phase I: Le Bon Funk, Native, Odette, Restaurant Jag, The Peranakan

Hello, the circuit breaker has ended. Since I'm a healthcare worker, I got to go to work as per usual, and I'm thankful for that! The public has also been very supportive, and we've been getting a few donation packs and meals especially when we are on-call. 

My family consists of serious foodies, we plan our holidays around food spots and treat making a restaurant reservation like a mission. There have been quite a few restaurants and spots that have made themselves available for takeaway so here are my top 10 recommendations!

1. Le Bon Funk
I already loved Le Bon Funk for their amazing wine selection, homemade charcuterie and big bold flavours, and have visited them last year. I was so happy that they started offering takeaways! Chef Kerin Buck does an amazing job of the homemade charcuterie, best sourdough and the softest chicken and love their desserts - savoury rosemary caramel tart. 

Their charcuterie is amazing. There're not many homemade charcuterie places in Singapore (Salted & Hung). I feel that Le Bon Funk has the best, they innoculate their meat with fresh bacteria and grow good strains of mould on the surface of the meat. They help the safety of the food but also add on incredible amount of depths and complexity to the charcuterie. 

I also love their sourdough, soft and sour with an incredible crust. I prefer their sourdough to Burnt Ends. 













2. The Peranakan 

They donated food to all the medical doctors for one day and we loved it! They have chap chye, butterfly pea rice, curry chicken and popiah. They also have a selection of nonya kuehs and bubble tea and it was really good. Do try out their bento set if you get the chance!


3. Cheek By Jowl 
I'm actually addicted to their fish and chips, and I guess that may say a lot since I've been growing up eating fish & chips every Friday at boarding school... They use snapper for the fish and it was so fresh and amazingly battered, the paper thin batter went so well with the fresh snapper! I love the peas and tartar sauce too, so good! Have ordered this twice since. (SGD $36)

Those who know Duck & Waffle's signature dish would love this! Chicken liver pate with date jam waffle, and pickled mustard seeds. It went so well together (SGD $9 for 2) 



4. Odette

Eponymous restaurant in Singapore for fine-dining. Ordered their signature sea urchin, whole roased poularde de bresse with niigata rice, kombu salad and albufera sauce. 

This meal was pricey. We ordered this right before I went for my night call. We didn't know the amount of self-assembly it required. Quite a few of the dishes came vacuum packed and required re-heating and delicate manoeuvres. I was rushing for my call so the whole situation was rather hectic. 










5. I had restaurant Jag quite early on during the circuit breaker so can't remember much but I remember their sweetbread was heavenly and someone painstakingly labelled every sauce and dish. Very enjoyable meal. 





6. My mum loves trying cocktails so we've been trying to support local and the native cocktails have been using peranakan flavours such as coconut milk etc 
One of the few award-winning bars in Singapore, if you're paying a visit and want to try some alcoholic-drinks other than the standard, these gin would be worth trying. They came with additional snacks but we didn't like the snacks as much, not much flavour. 






3. Cheek by Jowl https://cheekbistro.com/
6. Native @nativebarsg on instagram 

I guess the next post should be on how to keep fit during phase I and II, and how to keep a healthy lifestyle :) 


Comments

Popular Posts