Jikoni London

Jikoni came highly recommended by one of my friends and  I decided to check it out since it was around my neighborhood (Marylebone).

It is Swahili for "kitchen" but the chef has a really international background, coming from a Sikh family that grew up in Africa. The chef also became famous from starring in one of Gordon Ramsay's movie "the F word". I liked the set-up of the place, very eclectic, cozy and quaint.

You can choose to sit at the bar or on one of the cozy seats!



Ordered the lobster khichdee (£24, Moilee broth and Coconut Chutney)

I thought this dish was a bit too arvant-garde for me and also quite heavy on the coconut milk. There wasn't much meat in the lobster.



The waitress also recommended this dish (picture below) which has daily seasonal toppings. It came with a buttery cheese for a Sunday brunch. I thought it was fine but the toppings were a bit too minimalistic.




I didn't order the drinks as my friend tried the chai, and told me that I was better off ordering something else. Since Monocle was nearby, I decided to pop by after for coffee and cakes instead.

All in all, I think the food was very creative and modern but I thought that it pushed the boundaries in a way that became slightly too eclectic.

Jikoni London


Comments

Popular Posts